Interpreters and Translators

If you would like to interpret or translate for our members, please complete this application form. It will be forwarded to our face-to-face suppliers and they will get in touch with you directly. All bookings carried out for the INTRAN partnership are carried out by professional interpreters and translators.

Smiling deaf woman learning sign language

Our benchmark qualifications are the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting, Diploma in Police Interpreting, Level 6 NVQ Certificate in British Sign Language and the Diploma in Translation, as well as degree or Masters Degree in interpretation and translation with experience in interpreting and translating in public sector contexts.

The key regulatory bodies for interpreting and translation are:

  • The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) is a UK-based professional membership body for language practitioners. It aims to enhance and promote the value of languages and language skills in the public interest and provides accredited qualifications through the Institute of Linguist Educational Trust. The Institute offers a range of fully accredited professional qualifications for linguists thatare recognised by government departments, agencies, business organisations, universities and schools. This includes the qualifications mentioned above.
  • The Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI), the UK’s only dedicated association for practising translation and interpreting professionals.
  • Signature are the leading awarding body for qualifications in British & Irish Sign Language, deafblind communication and other deaf communication methods. The organisation exists to safeguard the interests of people who rely on communication professionals, such as sign language interpreters or lipspeakers, and ensure that they are fully qualified for the job they are doing.
  • The National Register of Public Service Interpreters (NRPSI)is the UK’s independent voluntary regulator of professional interpreters specialising in public service. They maintain a public register of professional, qualified and accountable interpreters.
  • The National Register of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind people (NRCPD) exist to protect the public by regulating communication and language professionals who work with deaf and deafblind people. Registers of interpreters for deafblind people, lipspeakers, notetakers, sign language interpreters, sign language translators and speech to text reporters are held by the NRCPD.

If you are not a qualified interpreter and would like to have a reputable qualification, click on the links above or visit the CIOL’s site to find out whether the qualification exists in your language.

If the language you speak is not listed on the above link, you may want to contact our face-to-face suppliers to see what other training options are available. You may also want to contact the National Register of Public Service Interpreters, who will also be able to advise you.