For the Public

For translations of this page, please click one of the following:

Turkish | Swahili | Russian | Portuguese | Polish | Mandarin | Lithuanian | Kurdish | Hungarian | Cantonese | BSL | Bengali

What is INTRAN?

INTRAN is an interpreting and translation service that works with a great number of public organisations to help them access professional interpreting and translation services in the East of England. We provide British Sign Language and foreign-language interpreters in over 200 languages.

Do you need an interpreter?

INTRAN Logo with Reg mark
Whenever you see this sign in public reception areas, someone will be able to help you in your language.

Here are some of the services that may be able to help you through a professional interpreter. :

  • Doctors
  • Nurses
  • Pharmacists
  • Hospitals
  • Housing
  • Schools
  • Police
  • Social Services
  • Library

If you are not sure whether an interpreter can be arranged for you, please show this leaflet to them to see if they can help you.

What to do if you need to use INTRAN


Tell the member of staff which language you speak


The member of staff may show you a list of languages and ask you to point at the language you speak. If it says ““point to your language and we will get an interpreter”, wait until a telephone interpreter is called. It should not take long. Through the telephone interpreter, explain what you want to talk about. If you need an appointment, you will be given a date and time, and staff will arrange for an interpreter to be there.

You will not be charged for the interpreter, and the service will be fully confidential.

What interpreters do

Interpreters allow you and the member of staff to talk to each other. Interpreters will not give advice, but are there to help you and the staff member communicate with each other. Interpreters are not responsible for what is said by the member of staff. If you don’t understand what is being said, please say.

All INTRAN interpreters are professional. They have received in-depth training enabling them to  translate everything that is said accurately and fully. They have all been police checked.

Everything discussed will be treated as confidential.


For any serious emergencies dial 999 from a landline or callbox, or 112 from a mobile, and state the language you speak. They will put you on hold and call for a telephone interpreter. Stay on the line until you hear the interpreter translate everything you and the emergency staff say.

Medical emergencies

If you need an ambulance, dial the above emergency numbers, too. Alternatively, if the situation allows you, go straight to your nearest hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) department

Please note that hospitals’ Accident and Emergency departments only deal with genuine life-threatening emergencies such as

If is about less severe injuries, contact your GP practice first. If it is closed, call NHS 111, which will direct you to the best local service, or visit an NHS walk-in-centre, which also treat minor illnesses without an appointment. Ask them to communicate through a telephone interpreter.

Learning English

In the UK, there are organisations that run English classes for speakers of other language. There are also many courses that are available free of charge. If you are unsure where you could find a suitable class, contact your local library, who may be able to give you the most up to date information on what is available and when. We know that many people who used to rely on interpreters when they first settled down in the UK are now fully proficient in English, and do not need interpreters! Look for ESOL classes.

We are always looking for good stories of people who have successfully developed their English skills. So, if you used to be an INTRAN beneficiary and now speak English fluently, we would love to hear from you! You can contact us at [email protected].

Comments or concerns?

We want to know what you think about INTRAN.  If you have any comments, compliments or concerns based on your use of the service, we would like to hear from you. This will help us to continue to improve and develop our service. If you have a concern, you can use this form to let us know about it in complete confidence, and we will follow it up or contact you as appropriate.

Please click here.